Aggressive Mesa Defender in Family Crimes and Misdemeanor Cases
Fighting for your rights and freedom in Arizona
The Law Office of Donna M. Hougen, also known as Hougen Family Law, has helped clients facing charges in family crimes and misdemeanors since 1998. We review the complaint against you and review the applicable statutes you are considered to have violated. We determine a strategy together, including analyzing the effect of plea bargains, guilty verdicts, diversion and a trial on your family situation. Convictions can adversely affect your child custody situation. When a conviction is inevitable it is very important that you enter a plea agreement and that your plea before the court is carefully articulated because it can be used against you in a custody case.
If you have been accused of a misdemeanor crime, we provide you with strategic criminal defense. We believe in aggressive involvement from the pre-charging stage all the way through trial and post-trial proceedings in state courts.
We help your family understand the law, counsel you on your legal options and work with you to create and prepare the defense you deserve. We always fight to dismiss or reduce charges. When a young person is involved, we seek child rehabilitation instead of placement in a state facility.
Types of offenses
- Misdemeanors — Common misdemeanors include petty theft, public intoxication, assault, trespassing and indecent exposure. Penalties for misdemeanors include fines, probation, community service and up to one year in jail or prison.
- Domestic violence — A domestic abuse charge can affect your employment, your family and the rest of your life. We can protect or defend you and work to have your charges dropped or reduced.
- Intimidation by telephone — A person commits the offense of intimidation by a telephone call with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend another. We can protect or defend you.
- Invasion of privacy — Invasion of privacy is the intrusion into the personal life of another, without just cause. The victim has the right to file a lawsuit for damages. These crimes include workplace monitoring, violation of Internet privacy, data collection and other means of disseminating private information. We can protect or defend you.
- Juvenile law — Juvenile crimes include DUI arrest, minor in possession, robbery, rape, murder and any other crime that can be committed by an adult. Individuals less than 18 years of age who commit these crimes can be punished under juvenile law. We can help if someone in your family has been convicted of a juvenile crime.
- Minor in possession — These crimes can be related to DUI, assault, vandalism and disorderly conduct. A conviction can negatively affect a young person’s future and jeopardize his or her status as a student, employee or parent. We work to get charges dropped or minimized.